Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:44 am

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:29 am 
Emperor
Emperor

For those who have been following along on my adventure to plan and complete this Gopro video build, with sound amp will know how happy I was with the performance until today. Upon pulling cards from several builds and a couple of commercial cams I realized that something in the Gopro build has a definite very negative effect on the deer, in fact I have never seen deer so frightened. This wallow usually fills a 32gb card, with video in a week to ten days. I pulled the cards at 2 weeks and immediately knew something was wrong when there was only a handful of videos on the cards. I have included six purposely separated clips, three from the Gopro and three from a commercial cam. It is clearly seen that the two cameras are at either end of the wallow
Gopro on a dead tree, Browning on a treefern. I included the first video of the wallaby (with Kookaburras laughing) to act as an introduction. You will clearly see the deer - all different, some in the night, others in the day, lock in on the Gopro then absolutely bolt! In particular the spike who comes in the early morning you can easily hear him sniffing, then it appears there maybe a noise and he is off like a rocket, Any feedback or suggestions will be gladly taken on board.
N.B. the beeps etc that the Gopro uses are all turned off. The case is solid black so there is no way any lights can be seen. My thoughts are, they all hear something, they very much don't like, turn their heads lock onto the Gopro then off like a shot, never to return.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:40 am 
Emperor
Emperor

It does seem odd that they would be so wary, especially during the day. Are you able to place food in front of the camera or anything? I have found that with bait, they will pretty much ignore everything else. The video I did see from it was great though.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:20 am 
Emperor
Emperor

It's just a fart in the dark but just maybe you have some electromagnetic interference going on in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 am 

Could it be something scent related? Whatever animal is there at the 52 second mark is trying to get a whiff of something. I think if it was visual or audible you would hear it or see it in the browning videos.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:02 am 
Emperor
Emperor

I have never had any animals react to my GoPro units the way those are reacting to yours, even when I tested with the amped audio boards. Since you said you have the beeps turned off on the camera I don't know what they could be keying in on unless it is some type of noise that is being transmitted that not noticeable to the human ear, maybe something to do with the amplified audio. To confirm or rule that out you could disconnect the Amped Sound Backpacker so the unit has no audio and see what happens. Jonnie Wilson is using the amped audio with his builds and as far as I know he hasn't had any animals react to it so that may not be what it is at all. As JDH hinted at, it could be scent related, possibly the smell of the Goop or something else used during the build that hasn't completely faded away yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:22 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Even though you turned the beeps off, occasionally a switch malfunctions and doesn't really turn off what it's supposed to control -- I assume you've checked, but ... Animals can hear a lot that is completely beyond our range of hearing, both higher and lower frequencies, which may be the case here. Have you tried turning that unit completely off -- that would tell you if it was an odor rather than a sound? Trail cameras certainly always have some odor detectable to wildlife, no matter how long they've been in the field; but wildlife seem curious, not frightened, by those odors.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I've been giving your situation a lot of thinking, especially after my initial reply :) Like both John and Ralph mentioned. Perhaps it was a smell associated with that new build and that could very well be, but let's think about this. We all know that animals live in a world of scents and their reactions to those scents are too numerous to mention. On approach, scent is detected gradually and gets stronger the closer you get to the source. However, their reaction to all manner of scents is usually not so sudden and dramatic. Unless they are suddenly confronted by a scent to be feared at very close range. Then it's immediate reaction would be to create distance between that scent and itself. I've had Deer on hundreds of occasions come right up to and sniff a Cougar scratch pile with fresh urine, scat or both on top of it. A Deer fears nothing more than meeting up with a Cougar. Yet their reaction is always the same. They slowly approach, sniff and either stand in the same spot in fear looking in all directions, continue forward or retreat but never run off like in your video.

Which makes me think that perhaps like Ralph suggested, there could be something audible coming from your build. Woody also brings up a good point. That noise may be undetectable to your hearing Trev, please don't take that the wrong way. If that may be the case, it may also be undetectable to the Browning camera as well. It may be audible to a wild animal and particularly a prey species though. Every animal that I can think of, humans included, will react to a sudden noise in much the same manner. The louder and more sudden the noise, the faster the reaction in response. Even quiet noises will make you jump like the snapping of a twig in the dead of night could do that. I suppose that if an animal is approaching a strange object like your camera it's senses are heightened. Suddenly it hears a strange noise from within that box at that close of range, it's spooked.

Maybe this sort of reaction with some animals happens far more than we think. With stills you would either get a blurry picture or nothing at all. Only with video do you actually see more of the story.
To be honest, I have only seen this type of sudden dramatic reaction once in all the videos that I have taken. In this very old video clip taken with a Bushnell cam. None of the other animals that passed by reacted that way. Then again no other animal got as close to the cam as this Bear did either. At that close of range that would certainly explain his lightning quick exit. Here is the Bear's reaction (actual speed) albeit apprehensive at first, to what I believe could have been a noise inside the camera..............

Array

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:36 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Trevor.. I have never experienced reactions such as yours. The only negative reactions have been from whitetails, a few bucks and a few does have spooked and that was because of the flood lights coming on at dusk when I am set up at a scrape. It was not totally dark and it occurred when it was sundown and I was in dense bush the lights came on and it was still kinda daylight. They distinctly looked right at the lights when they turned on and then spooked and trotted off. I know that you are not using lights but wanted u to know that this is the only spooked reactions I have had.

Goop smells for a long time. I absolutely love goop and will always use it but it gives off odor for a long time.

I think like others have mentioned the cam could smell. Or the noises have not been turned off or have came back on somehow.

I would do as Woody suggested and leave the GoPro there just don’t have it activated and see what the browning captures in the meantime while the GoPro is inactive. If the issue is still there then remove the GoPro altogether and see what the other cam captures.

As Ralph always suggests to me eliminate things one by one and you will pin point the issue or the source of the issue.

Please keep us informed ... this is interesting stuff. Frustrating but it will be interesting to figure out what the cause is.

The GoPro video that you have in this post sure is clear and the amped sounds are over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:29 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have been thinking about it all night and convinced the reactions are sound related.
My limited knowledge of both the sound amp and the Gopro limit me from making a definite decision on what the problem is, however as there's no moving parts l can't see how all the deer can clearly react the same.
It is a mission to get into this remote area, being mid Winter and wet make it very difficult. However l will try to get back and remove the build bring it home and do as Ralph suggested and disconnect the sound amp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:47 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I've never had reactions like that before but judging by the way the deer are sniffing it does appear to be scent related.
Have you coated the glass with something? As I remember you asking for ideas to help find ways to stop it fogging up.
Maybe as others have suggested try turning the gopro off and see what happens with the browning Cam then.
It's an odd one but I think it must be scent related.

All times are