Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am

All times are

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:16 pm 
Royal
Royal

Hello, I've messed around with hacking a few, but have not put together a build with a Panasonic cam yet. Most of night pictures from panasonic cams that I recall posted are from builds with slaves. What panny models perform best with a stand alone flash? The options I have on the shelf right now are fs3, fs15, fx33 and a fs6 on the shelf (fs6 has a sticky lens issue that I'm not sure I can fix). If there is a panny option with a stronger flash than these models I would be willing to start a search for another cam.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:36 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Here's my 2 cents worth....... l own 2 FS5's which l love! I have 2 more in the mail now - to build. They are by far my favourite homebrew cams. I use them for daytime colour images (see my last post which is currently active). The FS5 is 10mp it takes suburb images. From my past research they all have a fair flash around 20 feet. If l were you l would pair it with a with a baby slave. I expect Daryl will chime in on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm 
Royal
Royal

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
Here's my 2 cents worth....... l own 2 FS5's which l love! I have 2 more in the mail now - to build. They are by far my favourite homebrew cams. I use them for daytime colour images (see my last post which is currently active). The FS5 is 10mp it takes suburb images. From my past research they all have a fair flash around 20 feet. If l were you l would pair it with a with a baby slave. I expect Daryl will chime in on this one.

Thanks for the response buckhuntertrailcam. From pictures I've seen the fs5 would be a great option and the flash may be sufficient if set on a feed or mineral site. To add a bit more context. I'm building a cam for a good friend's father who is in late 80's. He spends a lot of time getting outdoors checking his commercial cams and has always liked the pictures I get from my home brews. I am looking for simplicity in this build. If it was for me I would definitely be adding a baby slave, but for this build I want to minimize batteries, switches, wiring.... My reason for going with a panny build over another s600 is so that he can use his SD cards from him commercial cams. Again, just one less thing to go wrong when he is heading out to check cams. I don't have to stick with Panasonic. I just have several in the camera pile so thought I would ask about to Panasonic cams first. There may be other SD card cameras out there with a better flash and good quality night pictures.

I hope I am still able to be out checking cams at that point in life!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:23 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

stone wrote:
Hello, I've messed around with hacking a few, but have not put together a build with a Panasonic cam yet. Most of night pictures from panasonic cams that I recall posted are from builds with slaves. What panny models perform best with a stand alone flash? The options I have on the shelf right now are fs3, fs15, fx33 and a fs6 on the shelf (fs6 has a sticky lens issue that I'm not sure I can fix). If there is a panny option with a stronger flash than these models I would be willing to start a search for another cam.

Thanks

Out of the ones u listed I would go with the FS3. Then the FS6 and 15. The FS5 and 3 are same hack and take same battery. FS6, 15 and 7 are same hack and battery. FS5 is 10mp and FS3 is 8mp. FS15 is 10mp or maybe 12mp the FS7 is 10mp. FS6 is 8mp. . My favorite is the FS7 then the FS3 & FS5. FS7 are hard to find and FS3 & FS5 are easier to find. I have some FS7 I use with a remote slave and man they pair up well. I use lots of FS cams with stand alone flash just use them in tighter spots and closer setups. I love them either way. I have piles. I have never tried the FX33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 pm 
Royal
Royal

ghosthunters wrote:
stone wrote:

Thanks

Out of the ones u listed I would go with the FS3. Then the FS6 and 15. The FS5 and 3 are same hack and take same battery. FS6, 15 and 7 are same hack and battery. FS5 is 10mp and FS3 is 8mp. FS15 is 10mp or maybe 12mp the FS7 is 10mp. FS6 is 8mp. . My favorite is the FS7 then the FS3 & FS5. FS7 are hard to find and FS3 & FS5 are easier to find. I have some FS7 I use with a remote slave and man they pair up well. I use lots of FS cams with stand alone flash just use them in tighter spots and closer setups. I love them either way. I have piles. I have never tried the FX33.

Great. Thanks for that. I will probably stick with the fs3 to start and help him out with the setup. He likes mineral sites, so it doesn't sound like it should be a problem getting animal in effective range of the fs3 flash for decent night.

Just for fun I hacked the fx33 tonight anyway. If I'm going to be ordering a board from Gary or Ralph whats the harm in doubling up with more extra cam, right. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The Pannys all seem to need a little help in the flash department. You can turn up the iso but that takes away some of picture quality IMO. Another camera to consider is the Nikon L-11 that uses a sd card and the flash is a little better then the S-40 but not as good as the s-600. I started using the micro sd cards and adapters with the older memory stick cameras and then put the micro card in a sd adapter to view the pics as I got tired of the problems with card readers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The last thing l want to do is ruffle any feathers here as I have only been on here a couple of years.
I have 3 Nikon L11's, my gripe with all 3 is that they never seem to take a "WOW" image. A lot of time the image is slightly out of focus. They tick most boxes as far as the ideal homebrew cam goes; compact, use AA batteries, use standard size SD cards, have an acceptable flash.
We all know that the S600 is probably the best for a homebrew cam but not for me l am not messing with a different card and reader and such an old camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:04 am 
Emperor
Emperor

stone wrote:
ghosthunters wrote:
stone wrote:

Thanks

Great. Thanks for that. I will probably stick with the fs3 to start and help him out with the setup. He likes mineral sites, so it doesn't sound like it should be a problem getting animal in effective range of the fs3 flash for decent night.

Just for fun I hacked the fx33 tonight anyway. If I'm going to be ordering a board from Gary or Ralph whats the harm in doubling up with more extra cam, right. ;)

I like your thinking .... not much difference between 1-2 cams let alone 20-30 cams. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:11 am 
Emperor
Emperor

buckhuntertrailcam wrote:
The last thing l want to do is ruffle any feathers here as I have only been on here a couple of years.
I have 3 Nikon L11's, my gripe with all 3 is that they never seem to take a "WOW" image. A lot of time the image is slightly out of focus. They tick most boxes as far as the ideal homebrew cam goes; compact, use AA batteries, use standard size SD cards, have an acceptable flash.
We all know that the S600 is probably the best for a homebrew cam but not for me l am not messing with a different card and reader and such an old camera.
. I agree on the wow pictures... but I have never had any focus issues with these. They aren’t my favorite cameras but they do serve a purpose. I have come to the conclusion that for top quality night pictures ..a slave is a must if you don’t want to use a s-600.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:10 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The Pentax E90 does pretty good as a stand along setup if you set the ISO to auto and uses AA batteries and a SD card

All times are