Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:54 pm

All times are

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:51 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

I received a canon power shot as a gift and never use it. I’m wondering if it can be hacked to make a good trail cam.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Unless anybody here has actually hacked that specific camera, you likely won't hear about a hack for it. I wanted to hack a Canon Powershot G10 years ago and was told that Canon P&S cameras don't make the best candidates for a game camera. You might be best to you open it up and poke around in it yourself. If you want somebody that might be able to hack it for you. I could give you his info. and you can contact him directly. The cheapest solution would be to buy an older point and shoot camera that there is already an easy hack tutorial for it.

You can also try this site and ask around for any help............https://lifehacker.com/turn-your-point- ... era-387380

Good luck Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks for that info. I guess I should find me a p32 that I have a case for. I just can’t find the camera. It’s been gone two years so I’ve given up on it showing up somewhere. I would want someone to hack it for me though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 am 
Emperor
Emperor

westcocanuck2 wrote:
Unless anybody here has actually hacked that specific camera, you likely won't hear about a hack for it. I wanted to hack a Canon Powershot G10 years ago and was told that Canon P&S cameras don't make the best candidates for a game camera. You might be best to you open it up and poke around in it yourself. If you want somebody that might be able to hack it for you. I could give you his info. and you can contact him directly. The cheapest solution would be to buy an older point and shoot camera that there is already an easy hack tutorial for it.

You can also try this site and ask around for any help............https://lifehacker.com/turn-your-point- ... era-387380

Good luck Larry

That link doesn't work Gary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 am 
Royal
Royal

The link worked for me!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:20 am 
Emperor
Emperor

The link worked for me. I've made several CHDK cameras (all were older models -- Powershot A640 and A650s). It was a lot of work for me to "unlock" all the little tricks in these Canon cameras. If you are not a computer wizard, just uploading the CHDK firmware is a major undertaking. But the hack instructions on the CHDK forum DO work, and you can lean on experienced CHDK hackers there for help. The pixel change detection system that is built into the camera works quite well, or you can use a PIR or x-band sensor though the camera's remote jack. The major downside is battery power. My hacks were good for a night or two when powered by their internal batteries (NiMH batteries). Yes, you could make an external battery pack that would last longer or just buy the camera's AC-DC power-in converter and use it with an extension cord next to the house. I still use these particular cameras periodically when I am trying to photograph rodents close-up and the photos are excellent. I also tried to use some cheap Nikon external slave flashes, but with limited success.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:17 am 
Emperor
Emperor

You can contact my friend Ralph at: http://rcdavisgamecamerasolutions.weebly.com/

I'm sure that he can help you out with everything you need. If you need a used camera, let me help you get off to a good start. I have used Sony S40 that I will give you, works fine, just pay the shipping. It has a Carl Zeiss lens, bright flash, and it takes 2 x "AA" batteries to power. Here are 3 samples of pics taken with the S40 "unedited"

I can send it to Ralph or to wherever you want me to.
Let me know and have fun with it, good luck,

Gary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

westcocanuck2 wrote:
You can contact my friend Ralph at: http://rcdavisgamecamerasolutions.weebly.com/

I'm sure that he can help you out with everything you need. If you need a used camera, let me help you get off to a good start. I have used Sony S40 that I will give you, works fine, just pay the shipping. It has a Carl Zeiss lens, bright flash, and it takes 2 x "AA" batteries to power. Here are 3 samples of pics taken with the S40 "unedited"

Gary

Thanks, that’s very kind of you. Will it work with the 1040 case set up for the p32? If so do I need to send it to him?

Larry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Larrymcc wrote:
westcocanuck2 wrote:

Gary

Thanks, that’s very kind of you. Will it work with the 1040 case set up for the p32? If so do I need to send it to him?

Larry

I'm not sure what you mean by set up for a P32, if the 1040 case is already drilled, then likely not, I can't say for sure. The S40 will fit into a 1040 and the smaller 1020 case.

Have a look at Ralph's website to see what he offers. He does do complete builds along with his own boards, programming and hacking of the camera, if you are wanting to go that route. Building your own game camera requires very careful planning and precise drilling. It also requires the proper tools and the parts needed to do this. If you enjoy building stuff then it's really not that hard but it is challenging and rewarding. The hardest part is pre planning where to drill out the holes in the plastic case and then doing it. This would be the most challenging part as you only get one shot at it. You best discuss your wants and needs further with the guys who can ask and answer those questions better.

Another member here JohnnyDeerHunter, use to sell S40 kits that were pre drilled and came with all the necessary parts to complete the build, everything. I enclosed a few pics of one of hits kits. He also performed the hacks and programming to assist you. Most of my builds were from his kits except the ones I had Ralph build. You can try and reach out to him by looking for his email and or PM contact info in the members section of this forum. I don't know if he is still doing this anymore.

If Ralph is doing the hack and selling you the parts then I'll send the camera directly to him. I can send it to Johnny if he is doing the hack. You just let me know once you decide where it should go.

The one other option is that if this is your first game camera (AKA homebrew) Then you may want to consider just buying a used one here from somebody. Then you can get familiar with the components and workings of it...just saying. Lots to think about and homework to do Larry, so good luck with it all.

Keep me posted,

Gary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:14 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Thanks Gary, I do enjoy working on things. I built one homebrew a couple of decades ago and would enjoy doing it again but I just don’t have the time. 60 hr. work week plus to-do list at home, then bow hunting and falconry. The p32 and s40 look very similar as far as flash and lens placement, I don’t know about size. I will reach out to Ralph and see what he thinks is best to do. Didn’t mean to take so long, I lost my falconry bird Wednesday and had to trap another and start all over. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks again
Larry

All times are