Welcome Anonymous
Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 pm

All times are

Post subject: Raptor - Predator Sets
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:14 am 

I decided to pull my 2 waterfowl sets, and dedicate my cam trapping time now to raptors and predators...I'd also like to try for herons, but think I'll focus my efforts on raptors first.

I had a trapper friend give me a bunch of muskrat carcasses this spring...plus I bought a couple pelts off him as well. I now have 4 dedicated raptor/predator sets on the go.

Hillside set #1

This set I used the Panasonic FP8 on a hillside, with 2 muskrat carcasses.

Creek Set

This set I used 2 carcasses, guts...and a pelt that I propped up using a fresh willow twig...sharpened both ends, and threaded it through the open ends of the streched pelt...bent it slightly and stuck both ends into the ground...actually looks pretty real! Using the Panasonic FX48 for this set.

Hillside set #2

I had this hillside in mind quite a while ago but never ventured out there until yesterday...once I got there I noticed that there is a very active fox den about 25 m north of where I wanted to set the cam...not wanting to disturb the den too much...and still have the chance at raptor pics I just put the cam right where I planned...25m south of the den on this hillside. I started using these short wooden stakes this year for my low level sets and they are working great and are supper cheap! just screw in one of Joe's QDM's and away you go!

For this set I aso used 2 muskrat carcasses and a willow propped pelt...and the Panasonic FH20 camera

Hillside Set #3

With 1 more cam in my pocket and another scenic hillside in the area...I threw one more out! This set I'm using 2 muskrat carcasses, guts and the willow propped muskrat pelt. This is one of my newest builds...the Panasonic FS15, SS2 S3 2000. Again I used a wooden stack and a QDM...a guy should probably drill a pilot hole first before installing the QDM to prevent cracking...as you can see ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:32 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Some awesome sets.But using just those wooden stakes gives me chills. :rofll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:39 am 
Emperor
Emperor

It will be interesting to see your pics from these sets........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:55 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Nice sets. Should get some good pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 am 
Emperor
Emperor

Should bring in the predators for sure. Any humans out that way? Scary but I wish you luck and look forward to some pics. Great set-ups.

I have also used a 2X4 pounded into the ground with one of my old film cams attached (no trees around) catching a 3-meter Siamese crocodile in Eastern Thailand; it worked well over a two-week period getting the reptile many times until the end of the roll. This was the best shot but it was a bit un-nerving leaving it out there.

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Man those sets have the potential to give some sweet pics!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:38 pm 

L. Bruce Kekule wrote:
it was a bit un-nerving leaving it out there.

After seeing the pic I think checking the camera would be a bit un-nerving :eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:56 pm 

L. Bruce Kekule wrote:
Should bring in the predators for sure. Any humans out that way? Scary but I wish you luck and look forward to some pics. Great set-ups.

I have also used a 2X4 pounded into the ground with one of my old film cams attached (no trees around) catching a 3-meter Siamese crocodile in Eastern Thailand; it worked well over a two-week period getting the reptile many times until the end of the roll. This was the best shot but it was a bit un-nerving leaving it out there.

Yeah there's a few people around...but it is private land and the landowners houses are right there...so besides them, not too much other traffic...even so it's risky but worth the risk if it yeilds some great pics!

yeah...I'd be scared to check that croc cam... :Run

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:19 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Some great sets that will surely yield results. I've been using green-treated 2 x 4s wrapped in camo burlap for several years now, they work great.

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

All times are