It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 am

All times are

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:26 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

ghoot wrote:
Very cool Bruce! Thanks for sharing.

Ghoot,

It is really great to open my cams and then see these amazing animals after downloading...it's my pleasure to share.

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

hydiseka wrote:
What a great and diverse group of subjects you have to work with. I never thought I would see an elephant picture on a trail cam. Thank You for sharing

hydiseka,

The diversity and ecosystems of this place is legendary. In 1990, the chief of Huai Kha Khaeng 'Seub Nakhasathien', gave his life to the cause of wildlife conservation as he could not stop the poaching, encroachment plus the dirty politics. He knew how great this place was compared to other protected areas in Thailand, and a statue and his legacy lives on at the headquarters area. I always pay my respect to him when I pass through. His unselfish act has helped to protect this magical place. A couple shots of the same tusker taken earlier about a kilometer away with a W5/Yeticam/Alloy box cam are attached.

Cheers. Bruce

Tusker up-close

Tusker rear-end shot

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

TRLcam wrote:
Very nice. Can't wait to see the DSLR pics.

TRL,

Thanks and I also can't wait to see the DSLR shots...it was a bit difficult to get it all together but I had all three flashes going off when I left it last week. I'm curious to see how long it will all stay on stand-by...the sensor distance seemed a bit short but I ran out of time and so left it at that. I will open it again and readjust the Yeticam for distance and sensitivity, and I might have put the cam a bit too low...but I like the low shots; they seem to enhance the animal in the frame.

Got my Nikon D90 with the battery pack for two lithiums yesterday and tested it with a SB28 in wireless, works just great....and the 'stand-by' feature and adjustment for output on the flash is a real bonus. Got to get a few more 28s and wireless triggers. However, this project will have to wait until sometime in July when I get back from the States. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Cheers,

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:02 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

CharlieK wrote:
Wow !!!! Tremendous photos in a fascinating place. Most of us have only seen the critters in your photos in zoos or books -- or not at all.

CharlieK,

Thanks and appreciate your kind words. It is a fascinating place for sure. It is Thailand's greatest tiger and leopard reserve because the prey base is huge, and protection is good but still needs much more improvement. I am close to the director of the division that oversees this place and I'm constantly giving him advice on what needs to be done to save this tremendous place. I'm fortunate to work here...!

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

johnnydeerhunter wrote:
simply fantastic.

Johnnydeerhunter,

Actually, there is a lot of deer here and they are the main prey base for tigers and leopards. I have some good photos of sambar and barking deer in these setups, and will post them here for all later today. I just had so much that I wanted all to see and ran out time to get this posted. Thanks.

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

wolvenkinde wrote:
I simply must concur with jdh

Wolvenkinde,

Thanks and I have really enjoyed sharing these photos with all of you on this site....I have become extremely addicted to homebrew trail cams and spend most of my spare time collecting parts and putting them together. It is very rewarding to say the least, and is for my future book work.

I am now working on my 4th book which will be a comparison between Asian and African wildlife (I've made trips in 2010 and 2011 to Kenya and leave on May 1st for two weeks to complete the African section). Publication will be sometime next year. I already have the jacket cover shots (a tiger on the front and lion on the back).

Appreciate it,

Cheers,
Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

modeclan wrote:
Super pics. So nice to see unusual game. Great variety.

Modeclan,

There is many more species that I still have not gotten but I'm working at it like clouded leopard and marbled cat. There are many predators here of all different sizes from small civets, badgers, mongoose and weasels on up to the mighty tiger....it's just a matter of time...thanks and I'm glad you have enjoyed the variety of wildlife.

Thanks,

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

I knew we were in for a treat. Thank you so much Bruce, for sharing your passion with us. Simply incredible pictures and amazing diversity of wildlife that the majority of us have never seen and likely will never see in person (Excluding you Chris ;-) ).

THANK YOU!!

"Wilderness to the people of America is a spiritual necessity, an antidote to the high pressure of modern life, a means of regaining serenity and equilibrium."
- Sigurd Olson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:18 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Darton man wrote:
My goodness what a place to camtrapp,good to you Bruce and stay safe.

Why the green tape over the fresnel?

Daton Man,

I turn on the unit and close the Pelican up. I then test it for a few shots and put the tape on the fresnel which of course stops the unit. After setting the aluminum box on the tree which takes a little time, I then close-up the face plate, install the Python cable and remove the tape and test it once more. It just saves space on the card and I leave the tape on the bottom of the unit. I guess there are other methods but this works for me. I prefer not to put any switches on the outside of the box...!

In the old days with my 1st and 2nd generation camera traps, I would install the aluminum boxed cameras on the tree after completely sealing the unit, and then use a magnetic switch to turn on the trap from the outside. This system was simple but I always had to have a magnet to get them going....!

Now with Gary's HPWAs and Pelican cases, the tape works just fine...I use green or black cloth tape; the sticky stuff. Thanks for your interest.

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:38 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Willy wrote:
I knew we were in for a treat. Thank you so much Bruce, for sharing your passion with us. Simply incredible pictures and amazing diversity of wildlife that the majority of us have never seen and likely will never see in person (Excluding you Chris ;-) ).

THANK YOU!!

Sean,

Thanks very much for your kind words. I know this place is special and I'm glad to share this with all the members at Camtrapper. I can tell you I jump up and down when I see a tiger or other interesting species on my traps. However, it's not always this good as during the rainy season, the wildlife roam more as water is everywhere and it's a big place. What we have here is the 'dry season' when water is scarce and they are forced to concentrate.

But I will continue to entertain ya' all as I have become a homebrew addict...there is nothing greater to me than catching rare wildlife on a cam I built. It makes everything worthwhile...! Going in again next week to check out my Canon DSLR and those two W55s. We shall see...later and again, it's pleasure.

Cheers,

Bruce

www.brucekekule.com
www.cameratrap.asia

All times are