Fledgling
Fledgling
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:56 am

All times are

Post subject: kingfisher set up
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:26 am 
Fledgling
Fledgling

Anybody made setup for kingfisher? How close must sensor be, to detech this little bird?

Post subject: Re: kingfisher set up
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

Tell us what equipment you are using. We assume you are using a PIR sensor, and it is part of the controller. Are you setting it at a perch or a nest cavity?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:40 pm 
Fledgling
Fledgling

yes, you are right. I am using PIR sensor connected with microcontroller in box together with S600. I made 2m long cable connecting sensor and photo box, this allows me to set sensor closer to perch and photo box hidden in marsh. I have not tested this set up yet, but cant wait no more :) Absolutely NOT in the nesting place, but on perch where kinfisher is hunting!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:31 pm 
Emperor
Emperor

You should test the PIR's response to your hand in a mock situation at home. Test it at various distances. If possible, however, it's best not to put the PIR on the same perch the bird uses; if the perch moves in the wind it could trigger the camera and you'll get false exposures. If it's a rigid perch this won't be a problem. If the PIR is close to the bird's resting place you should aim it very accurately. At a greater distance it isn't as critical because the PIR's field of detection is basically cone-shaped and its scope increases with distance from the animal. This is the kind of thing you have to work out on a trial and error basis, but with time you'll learn the strengths and weaknesses of the equipment and be able to predict its performance under different conditions.

All times are